Position: RE/EE Specialist
Reports to: Technical Director
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Contract: Project-based one year with a 3-months’ probation period.
Application Deadline: July 12, 2022
Application Submission: Qualified candidates should send a CV and a cover letter highlighting relevant work experience to: email@example.com with “RE/EE Specialist” as an email
The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an independent intergovernmental organization, which aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy, and energy efficiency practices in the Arab region. RCREEE teams with regional governments and global organizations to initiate and lead clean energy policy dialogues, strategies, technologies, and capacity development to increase
Arab states’ share of tomorrow’s energy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The job’s objective is to provide technical support to different technical projects. The following duties and responsibilities will be mandated:
Research and analytical work
- Contribute to RCREEE analysis in the areas of RE&EE as well as environmental and socio-economic issues.
- Help produce a comprehensive analysis of current conditions and future trends for RE&EE deployment in the region. In particular, the specialist helps develop and conduct analysis to evaluate:
- Regulatory and market framework conditions for investments in RE&EE technologies in countries of the region.
- Technological alternatives and infrastructural requirements for the transition to increasing shares of RE&EE.
- RE&EE potentials and priorities regarding technologies, applicable scales, and relevant economic sectors.
- Planning designs by using relevant methods, models, and multi-criteria assessments such as life cycles and scenarios
- Tracking systemic or structural changes in the regional energy sectors to design medium to long-term RE&EE strategies, and to mobilize national and regional investments.
- RE&EE integration implications on national energy and economic systems, such as externalities, cause and effect, value creation, etc.
- Financial mechanisms and required infrastructure for large, medium, and small-scale RE systems.
- Institutional public administration processes affecting RE&EE planning and deployment.
- The role of RE&EE in overall energy and environmental policies.
- Monitoring of RE&EE plans, measures, and programs as well as their impacts.
- Help identify areas for possible intervention at the regional level to maximize the effects of promoting RE&EE.
- Produce specific technical, policy, and socio-economic briefs on RE & EE.
- Develop written analytical interpretations.
Data gathering, verification, and benchmarking
- Help identify data and information sources.
- Collect & verify necessary data through a review of existing primary & secondary resources, interviews, and questionnaires by using the existing RCREEE professional network.
- Resolve discrepancies between conflicting data sources.
- Support benchmarking countries’ performance to provide additional stimulus to promote RE&EE.
- Support the provision and communication of the data assessment results and projections to internal and external stakeholders.
- Help maintain and update the organization’s information system portal, including back-end administration, data entry, and data verification.
Technical support activities
- Publish and present research, project, and studies’ results at conferences, and symposia, and review meetings in Arabic, English, or French.
- Participate in technical and scientific meetings or conferences and represent RCREEE.
- Support the implementation of capacity building and training activities.
- Help in other relevant technical tasks as required by the technical team.
- Support the planning and implementation of RCREEE projects within budget, schedule and quality expectations while meeting stakeholders’ needs and strategic objectives by the annual work plan.
- Assist in preparing project reports by compiling required technical data and information from internal sources and external partners.
- Project coordination within the relevant stakeholders and networks.
- Assist in formatting and proofreading reports, working documents, and other project publications.
- Assist in updating the database of projects and ensuring dissemination of project
- outputs and other related information
- Prepare logistics for workshops and seminars in collaboration with the Administration team.
- Assist in preparing the minutes and proceedings of meetings and workshops
- Contribute to the projects’ proposal writing processes by assembling the projects’ required technical information.
- Participate in meeting with external stakeholders.
- Participate in the tender evaluation process for technical consultants and experts.
- Manage project marketing for projects using different tools such as websites, printing materials, etc.
- Perform all other duties as requested by the supervisors.
Requirements and Competencies
Minimum qualification requirements:
- The position is project-based; due to the requirements of the projects it is only open to candidates from RCREEE member states living in Egypt
- Master’s degree in relevant subjects (e.g., engineering, energy, and environmental management, energy policy, energy economics) and 1+ years of professional experience, or bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects and 3+ years of professional experience
- A working experience with an international or regional organization will be considered an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with the current RE & EE and climate agenda situation in the Arab region and the world.
- Profound knowledge about RE&EE matured technologies, existing regulatory frameworks, technological preferences, institutional capacities, RE&EE financing mechanisms, quality, and standards, as well as environmental and social impact assessments.
- Sufficient knowledge of projects management principles and basics
- Ability to produce comprehensive analysis, and draft and review reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work well and independently within a small team environment with senior staff guidance.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills.
- Experience with direct client support and interaction.
- Proficiency in Arabic and English. Proficiency in French will be considered an advantage.
- Familiarity with the electricity sector, including regulated economics, electricity generation, and project development.
- Consulting experience or other client-service experience.
- Demonstrated experience working well in a small team.
- Familiarity with financial analysis and infrastructure project finance.
General Terms and Conditions
- The Candidate is required to work from RCREEE’s Cairo office.
Tenure of Appointment
- The initial appointment will be for 12 months including a 3-month probation period.
- Contract extension will be subject to performance, needs, and availability of funds from the projects.
- RCREEE is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply.
- To apply please send a CV and a cover letter highlighting relevant work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest by July 12, 2022, with the subject line: RE/EE Specialist.
Emails without a subject line will be automatically discarded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.