The GN-SEC cooperates with the Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE
), the International Copper Alliance (ICA
), the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO
) and other partners on the Cornerstone of Rural Electrification (CORE
) initiative. The mission of CORE is to enable resilient rural and peri-urban communities by ensuring safety, efficiency and reliability become the cornerstone of decentralised electrification.
The initiative has mobilised initial resources and offers technical assistance to:
• Practitioners (including design engineers, technicians, installers and operators) on aspects related to improving safety, efficiency and reliability of decentralised electrification projects
• Communities (especially women) on productive use of electricity
• Governments on enhancing the policy and regulatory framework in support of decentralised electrification
CORE offers its technical assistance through:
• CORE Academy: an online training platform providing certified training for DRE practitioners
• Cooperation with ongoing or planned projects focused on decentralised rural electrification
• Tailored assistance based on requests
• Resource library: a collection of decentralised renewable energy (DRE) training materials and guidelines
CORE is of particular interest to GN-SEC regions with lack of access to electricity services in rural areas or remote islands. GN-SEC will partner with CORE on the development and execution of joint tools, trainings and projects.