DIAPOL aims to support the League of the Arab States - Energy Department to harmonize clean energy strategy development and implementation in the MENA region and to support regional initiatives to promote climate and energy initiatives among LAS member states.
The project is implemented by the German Society for international cooperation GIZ, on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), in cooperation with the league of Arab States and its technical arm RCREEE since its launched in 2014. In 2018, the project second phased commenced with focus on:
- Implementing and monitoring the Arab Sustainable Energy Strategy
- Designing, updating and regular follow up of NEEAPs and NREAPs .
- Regular tracking and reporting on implemented NDCs in the energy sector of LAS member states.
- Updating and upgrading Arab sustainable energy data base.
- Promoting and setting up regional initiatives aiming to catalyze the use of clean energy and climate friendly technologies.
RCREEE has been leading several activities under DIAPOL project including:
- Set up long-term Energy Planning Scenarios and case studies for two Arab countries.
- Development of monitoring protocol for the Arab Sustainable Energy Strategy.
- Logistical and technical support to the Arab EE Day 2019 and ARFREE 2020.
- Design, implementation and monitoring of the NEEAPs and NREAPs in LAS member states.
- Follow up and evaluate the state of the art and progress of NEEAP-NREAP development in the Arab region.
- Preparing NDCs/INDCs energy related measures tracking tool.
- Issue the 5th edition of Daleel in Arabic.
- Support SHAMCI network annual meeting
- 14 Events including workshops and capacity development activities.
- 16 Studies and Reports
- Update and upgrade Taqaway website
- Sustainable Energy Policies and Technical Support
- Energy Market Research and Knowledge Management
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Private Sector Promotion
- Sustainable Energy Finance and Investment Promotion
- Environmental & Socio-Economic Analysis & Support
- Certification & Standardization Services
- Capacity & Human Development