The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an intergovernmental organization with diplomatic status that aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency practices across Pan-Arab countries and is the official technical arm institution of both League of Arab State – Energy Department and Arab Ministerial Council for Electricity (AMCE).
RCREEE teams-up with governments, international organizations, IFIs and Private Sector via several forms of partnerships to initiate and lead clean energy policy dialogues, strategies, technologies, managing the facilitation of RE investment platforms and capacity development in order to increase Arab states’ share of tomorrow’s modern energy solutions.
More about RCREEE: https://www.rcreee.org/node/279/
- Scope of Work
The Environmental and Sustainable Energy Senior Specialist will support RCREEE with its environmental portfolio. The responsibilities and duties include:
- Act as an environmental and Sustainable Energy expert & focal-point for technical and policy support, implementation & monitoring of the environmental portfolio of programs and/or projects
- Keep RCREEE up-to-date with international agenda and initiatives regarding Environment & sustainable energy issues
- Identify key issues and updates of relevance to environment & sustainable energy at the international level, and ensure the contribution of RCREEE involvement
- Handling, implement and supervise environmental and social impact assessment studies and projects
- Provide technical input to support RCREEE’s activities in environment & sustainable energy related events, initiatives and partnerships and handles relevant reporting and briefings on RCREEE projects.
- Preparing ToRs for environmental and energy consultants and/or firms to accomplish RCREEE’s Environment projects.
- Identify and describe existing and potential environmental constraints and risks that might affect the development and future operation of the energy related pre-under-post-construction projects and developed a plan for mitigating adverse impacts
- Analyze data on environmental conditions of the site and adjacent areas and evaluate field data and assess impact
- Prepare an ornithological expert opinion, assess on the importance of the area for bird migration, predict and assess of possible impacts on MSBs, recommend on an acceptable area for a wind farms and appropriate mitigation measures, advise local experts and site visits
- Provide and/or review the environmental and social due diligence and all relevant studies such as ESDD, EIA, ESIA, SESA, ESAP and ESMS.
- Prepare of Inception Reports, Bi-Monthly Progress Reports, stakeholder engagement plan report and capacity building programs
- Skills and Qualifications
- Master Degree in Environmental Sciences or a relevant background. PhD is plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environment or Energy relevant discipline.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in environment, climate change, sustainable energy, mitigation, etc.
- Knowledge in:
- IFC/World Bank’s Environmental and Social Directives,
- Equator Principles’ Environmental & Social Standards,
- World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines,
- EBRD Performance Requirements,
- National legislation and standards issued by national responsible authorities in RCREEE member states.
- Strong Knowledge of NAMA, CDM, and climate change and environment assessment, policies, finance, trends and mechanisms
- The expert should be aware of different international climate change related agencies and communities such as UNFCCC, COPs…etc. Experience working in a similar organization in the fields of RE is preferred.
- Knowledge of RE&EE projects, socio-economic analyses, financial diligence, assessment of financial environmental models.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment of projects in the field of environment.
- Knowledge in regional energy and environmental profile of the Arab region is a plus.
- Knowledge about international agenda on sustainable development goals and its implications on the development progress worldwide.
- General Terms and Conditions
- The position is open to candidates from RCREEE member states only, willing to join RCREEE as soon as possible.
- The Candidate is required to work from RCREEE’s Cairo office. S/He will comply with RCREEE COVID-19 protective and safety measures
- Tenure of Appointment
- The initial appointment will be for 12 months including a 3-month probation period.
- The contract extension will be subject to performance, needs and availability of funds
- Equal Opportunity
- RCREEE is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability, or marital status.
- How to apply
Qualified candidates should send updated CV and a cover letter highlighting relevant work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org noting the following
- Deadline: August 4, 2021 (11:59 Cairo Local Time)
- Email subject line: “The Environmental and Sustainable Energy Senior Specialist”
*Emails without subject line will be automatically discarded
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted